Friday, July 8, 2011

Surrender

Surrender
by Cindy Hester

To Dad and Mom from Cindy...I love you.

We walked into the cold room
With anxious hearts and minds
Grasping for a promise
Some hope of any kind.

The doctor hung his head low
Avoiding every eye
The truth was too apparent
I wanted him to lie.

My father brave but hurting
Sat stoically upright
The facts were all he wanted
So ready for the fight.

My mother stood beside him
With strength sent from above
No one could doubt her fervor,
Her loyalty, her love.

I begged God for His healing
To spare my Dad this pain
My heart cried out to heaven
My tears, they fell like rain.

We wanted so to spare him
So much for us he’s done
We could not end this nightmare,
His daughters and his son.

Our family stood beside us
Giving of their time
Their selfless acts, they meant so much
They wouldn’t take a dime.

Our precious friends prayed with us,
Their hearts always close by
Brought so much peace and comfort
They let us talk and cry.

Another doctor’s visit,
A few months down the road,
His kind eyes laced with sorrow
I wanted to explode.

I know that it is sad news
Right from the very start
The way he takes my hand in his
A handshake from the heart.

He clears his throat, diverts his eyes,
And nervously he speaks
This news he starts to give me
I’ve dreaded now for weeks.

The cancer’s taking over
Dad’s body is so frail
The chemo’s wreaking havoc
It’s putting him through hell.

It’s time to end this torment
Fully place Dad in God’s hands
Completely seek His wisdom,
Accept His divine plan.

I don’t know how to tell him
He’s fought so hard and long
He’s tried so hard to beat this
He’s tried to be so strong.

I know he trusts God’s guidance
I know he trusts His plan
But I also know he’s human
After all, he’s just a man.

I bow my head in silence
God’s wisdom now I seek
Please give the words I need to say
Don’t let it sound so bleak.

It’s then God speaks so softly,
He reminds me of His love.
He brings to mind the many joys
Awaiting up above.

He talks of signs and wonders
I’ve yet to see and know
His love and His compassion
Is great and overflows.

He knows the plans He has for me
For Dad, for Mom for all
To prosper, not to harm us
He will not let us fall.

So I give You my dear father,
To do with as You will
A miracle of healing,
Or a home on heaven’s hill.

I know Your grace will guide us
Whatever lies ahead
You gave us hope eternal
When you died for us instead.

5 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful way with word. I love when you share this with me. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Love you!!

    Love
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful! Thank you for sharing! Will continue our prayers!!

    Love you,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so very touching, thank you so much for sharing and may God continue to bless you and your family & help with your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so very touching, thank you so much for sharing and may God continue to bless you and your family & help with your pain.

    Love you all,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy, you are such a gifted writer. Thanks so much for sharing such beautiful words. You and family continue to be in my prayers.

    Love to all,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

My readers are priceless to me. Please take a moment to leave a note that you stopped by!

Content With Who You Are

by Cindy Hester Photo by  Elizabeth Tsung  on  Unsplash Grab a cup of coffee, and let’s talk. I have to be honest, my heart is...